And so it begins…
I officially signed up for my first “triathlon” ever. Next week. *Gulp*
The word triathlon is in quotes because I’m sure all real triathletes will scoff at the notion that I’m calling what I’m doing next week a triathlon for at least 3 reasons.
- It’s Indoors
- It’s Timed
- I’m Only Swimming In a Pool That’s 4 Feet Deep
I’m okay with that. This isn’t the end goal for me. It’s a starting point. I figured this is a nice baby step introduction to the world of triathlons for those same 3 reasons.
- It’s Indoor [I don’t have to worry Chicago’s terrible unpredictable spring weather – 70, Snow, 75, Slush, Hail, 70 again]
- It’s Timed [I only have to keep going for an hour. As long as I can maintain consciousness for an hour, I’m set. I don’t have to worry about covering 70.3 or 140.6 miles in order to actually finish…yet.]
- I’m Only Swimming In A Pool That’s 4 Feet Deep. [If I drown in 4 feet of water, I probably deserve to die.]
While I’m usually ridiculously competitive, I’m not worried about time, distance, placement, anything for this race. I have three goals from this triathlon. I want to:
- Actually Do it.
- Prove To Myself I Can Do It.
- Use It As A Stepping Stone To Other Bigger & Better Triathlons
So listen up “Triathlon”…If that is your real name.
Saturday. Life Time Fitness. Schaumburg, IL. It’s me. vs. you and one of us is getting their tail kicked. [Here’s a hint: it’s not going to be me]. See you then.