My workout goals for last month went something like this:
- Running – 75 miles total. Run a sub 6-minute mile & Run an 8 miler at a sub 9-minute pace.
- Not even close. I ran 47 miles. About 60% of my goal & less than I ran last month.I did manage to run an 8 miler at a 8:50/mile on my last run of the month. I didn’t get the sub 6-minutes one miler yet, but I’m planning to knock that out as soon as I can here in July. I didn’t do an amazing job of meeting my running goals, but I was able to focus more on some of the other disciplines and this is still the second most I’ve run in a month ever, so I can’t be too upset with myself.
- Biking – 6 cycling class & start biking outside.
- I got about 4 of these sessions in but I think I overdosed on cycling from my RAAM experience.
- Swimming – 10,000m.
- Swimming – I swam 7600m this month. The majority of this was last week. I started swimming when I got back from the RAAM tour & once I realized I wasn’t going to drown, I started to really enjoy it. I worked up from barely being able to swim 500m to swimming 2000m straight. That’s 1.2 miles. Huzzah!
- I want to do one race this month. Whether it’s a running event or triathlon I don’t care.
- I got this one done. I got a team together at the last minute and we ran the Mudathlon. and while it wasn’t a triathlon or foot race, it was a race, and a fun one at that.
BIT The Blog
Table of Contents
I only had two goals this month for BIT on the blogging side of things and nosedived pretty much on both accounts. As for the goals:
- Write 12 killer posts here at BIT
- I only got 10 up. I had a few times I was tempted to just post something, to get to my goal number, but I realized I’d rather post a lot less and “miss my goal” number of posts rather than writing uninspired posts just to hit a quota.
- Guest post at least 2x.
- I didn’t guest post anywhere. Not because I got rejected or wrote bad pitches to the blogs I was targeting. I failed at this goal for a really simple reason: I never wrote the posts in the first place. I got busy, it fell off the priority list and I just never did it. Plain & simple.
- Running – 55 miles. I think this is a more realistic goal for me. I want to keep moving up my distances, but I don’t want to overdo it and neglect my other training.
- Biking – Get a bike. I know this is ridiculous that I STILL don’t have a bike and I’m trainign for an event that’s 1/3 biking. I need to get on this and I want to go for a ride once/week.
- Swimming – 15,000m. I can step this up a lot I think. I love the fact that it’s low impact and I can tack it on to one of my other workouts and still push myself, without coming out at the end of the day without being competely beat. This should be a pretty easy goal to reach if I keep up my pace of the last week and a half.
- July 17th – The Valparaiso Triathlon is my first triathlon and it’s coming up quick! I’m excited for it, especially now that I finally convinced my friend Kyle to sign up with me. It’s gonna be a lot of fun and a good benchmark for seeing where I’m at and if all this training is actually working or if I’m going to need switch it up a bit. This race is for sure, but I may end up doing a second round of the Mudathlon in the Chicagoland area. Depending on my schedule for early August I may or may not do it. I’m still deciding.
- 11 posts at BIT. Between work, training & blogging, I always have this temptation to slack off on the blog side of things, but I’m not going to let that happen. I’m always trying my best to be transparent & share my journey with you guys here and if I slack on that, chances are, I’ll start slacking on my workouts and then my goals. Negative momentum never helps so I’m going to keep striving & pushing myself to write quality posts based from my experiences, rather than just writing posts to write posts to write posts.
- 2 Guest Posts. I’m for real this time. I’m gonna get it done and actually have some things in the works. I want to share what I’m doing with more people and meet other people doing some impossible things. If you’re one of those people, let me know, I’d love to meet you.
Wrapping It Up
July is gonna be a good month here at BIT. I didn’t hit many of my goals for June, but I’m starting to realize how much I’m actually leaving on the table. I have so much left and I’m just starting to scratch the surface of finding out what I’m actually capable of. Take swimming for instance, I didn’t even really start my swimming efforts until last week and in that week I almost reached my June goal. I’ve got a lot left in the the tank and I’m excited for what’s coming up here, but I also excited to hear what what you’re doing. Let me know and if there’s anything I can do to help out, don’t be afraid to ask.
I want to give a huge shout out to Andrew Machado from Apture (they make that sweet looking bar at the top of the screen that makes it easy to share & tweet the articles where I’m not making a complete idiot of myself I don’t completely suck). I was having trouble with my old bar and he not only got me set up again, but actually redid the entire bar & logo in a much sexier way than I’m capable of. Thanks Andrew. I appreciate it a lot.