I got set off the other day.
My phone was stolen.
My crappy iPhone 5s phone – like 3 years old. Stolen.
Some idiot at the basketball courts thought it was the new iPhone 6SE (because Apple thought it was a great idea to make phones big, then even bigger, before making them small again after realizing no one wants a phone that’s the size of their quad), so they dug around in my bag, grabbed it and peaced out.
So they stole my phone – I don’t care – it’s a stupid phone. I don’t care about stuff, but it was a headache to replace it, and something about it set me off.
I started going through all the stupid little things I was gonna have to deal with.
Either I get a refurbished phone and deal with the probably already dead battery, or I wait 2-4 weeks for the new phone to come in from insurance, or I just get a new one that I don’t really care about.
And that’s when I realized the stress wasn’t about the stress – it was about the bullsh*t overload I was dealing with in general. The phone set me off, but it was just the final straw. There was all this bullsh*t floating around me that when my phone got jacked, the density got thick enough that I finally noticed it.
There was lots of other bullsh*t floating around that I wasn’t doing anything about. So I decided to go on a bullsh*t purge.
A short list
- My shoulder is jacked up and I’m not doing anything about it. Bullsh*t. Get it fixed. You built an app about it after all.
- My office doesn’t have WiFi – I wasn’t happy about it and I’m was just…waiting…for the landlord to do something about it. Bullsh*t. End the lease.
- My apartment isn’t how I want it to be, so I’m just putting up with it even though I’m traveling all summer. Again. Bullsh*t. End the lease. Move out.
- I haven’t traveled anywhere interesting in 6 months. Bullsh*t. Buy a ticket. Hello, Barcelona in June.
- An employee was lying about their workload and you knew it. Bullsh*t. Confront them on it.
Something about the stupid phone set me off. The inside of my head started screaming bullsh*t!
So I started the bullsh*t purge – getting rid of all bullsh*t from my life.
It’s pretty simple – all you ask is, “Is this bullsh*t?”
If the answer is yes – then you get rid of it.
- Office w/ no WiFi? Bullsh*t. Get rid of it. Easy.
- Papers? Bullsh*t. Scan them. Shred them. Throw them in the trash. Done.
- Car is low on gas. Bullsh*t. Fill it up.
- You feel tired? Bullsh*t. Go for a run. You can handle it.
- Your place looks like crap. Bullsh*t. Clean it – it takes 30 minutes.
- Hate filing taxes? Bullsh*t. Figure it out. Write the check.
- Clothes you don’t wear but take up space? Bullsh*t. Donate them. You don’t need that much stuff anyways.
- Excuses in your head? Bullsh*t. Just do the damn thing anyways. That does the trick.
- Too tired to lift? Bullsh*t – it takes 30 minutes. Do it.
Here’s a simple test for you the next time you’re frustrated.
Whatever it is – excuses, stuff, situations, limitations, etc – take a good look at it and ask yourself:
Is this bullsh*t?
If yes, get rid of it.
It feels really good. Trust me.
Joel’s note: This post‘s “bullsh*t” count is 24. In case you were wondering.
Grow Stronger, Do The Impossible
Get weekly emails on how to build a stronger mind, a stronger body and stronger life and do the impossible.