People are awesome.
Seriously. People are way more awesome than we give them credit for.
Yes, there are a handful of jerks whose sole existence is to suck the life, dreams & happiness from you because they’re upset about their own unfulfilling existence, but there are way more awesome people out there than you think, and I’m glad I know so many of them.
This really came about from just observing on Saturday. Running the triathlon on was really awesome, but what was almost even cooler than that was seeing the support coming from those not running it. I honestly was floored to see all the people cheering everyone on as they went through the course and crossed the finish line. That was really awesome.
With that in mind, here’s a short list of people I’m grateful for:
- Kyle for agreeing to run the triathlon with me.
- My brother for letting me steal his bike [even if it wasn’t triathlon appropriate].
- My sister for helping me try to smash my bike into my Ford Taurus as I tried to bring it to Valparaiso.
- My sister’s old roommate for letting me steal and use her bike rack when I realized my bike was NOT going to fit INSIDE of my car.
- My Mom & Dad for randomly driving 2 hours to come and watch without telling me.
- The guy with the sprinkler out in his yard pointed right at us as we ran by his house in the 90+ degree heat.
- Everybody on my facebook wall & page for the encouragement.
The support on Facebook was amazing but I was absolutely blown away by twitter. Seriously, my twitter feed was blowing up Saturday as I seemed to get congratulations from almost everyone including: Matt, Nina, Sarah, Haidn, Mark, Jess, David, Mark, Patrick, Nate, Kara, Trever, Steve, Tyler.[On the off chance I missed your tweet and/or left you off the list, let me know and I’ll make it up to you. I screw up sometimes.]
Thanks for the encouragement before, during and after the race. I honestly really do appreciate it. I’ve said before that surrounding yourself with the right people is essential if you want to do impossible things, so I wanted to say a big thanks to those of you that were a part of that. You are all seriously awesome.
Also, If you’re awesome [hint: chances are you are if you’re reading this] and we haven’t met, emailed, twittered, skyped, etc or you know someone who’s awesome and I should get to know, get at me and we’ll figure out a time. I’d love to hear more about the impossible things you’re doing and if there’s anything I can do to help.
Keep Being Awesome
JoelSpeaking of awesome people, I’m meeting up with a bunch of awesome people tonight. The Indy meetup of Way Below Status Quo Roadtrip is tonight. Colin Wright [Exile Lifestyle], Andi Norris [Instigationology], and Ashley Ambirge [The Middle Finger Project] are swinging through Indy on their way from New York To LA. Adam Baker [ManVsDebt] is organizing a meetup just south of Indy. If you’re in the area check out the event, RSVP and come on out. We’d love to see you.
10 bonus points to the first person who knows how many times I used the word “awesome” in this post.