This is one of the first questions I aks you when you sign up for my email series, 1 Week To Impossible. I believe your reason why behind what you do is absolutely vital to any success you might have doing the impossible so I ask this question and ask for you to respond with your answer. Some people do and some people don’t and every once in a while, I get a really good answer.
Recently, reader Steve recently signed up for the series and sent me his response. I really enjoyed it and asked him if I could share it. He went ahead and gave me the green light, so here’s his answer:
Why am I here? Good question. I’m a bullet list person so here goes:
- I’m a teacher, coach, husband, father, fund-raiser, & wannabe endurance athlete who seeks to inspire and be inspired.
- I am in the 4th year of a personal transformation as I become an athlete again and improve my quality of life.
- Despite my constant efforts to be a positive, energetic person I need a constant battery boost and recharging.
- I started a scholarship program at the school where I teach/coach. The $$ is raised by normal people doing extraordinary things to improve their fitness and health and the eventual scholarship $$ will go to students who make significant transformations in their own lives.
- People like yourself energize and fuel me–your attitude is infectious in a most positive way!
- I’m a reader and new blogger. Your site is INTERESTING and informative.
- Like any food, smell, or song, I give it a 10 second test–if I like the first 10 seconds I continue, I explore. I stumbled on your blog trolling for some inspiration and ended up parked at your blog for about an hour this morning. Kudos to you. I’m fairly picky.
- I am fascinated by the power and capabilities of the human spirit, body, and mind. People amaze me.
- At age 46 I am trying to live each day like I’m dying. I have a family member who is dying (cancer) and I would feel guilty if I wasn’t trying to maximize my abilities and my alloted time.
- I’ve gone from fat and unfit four years ago to much fitter and registered for the Ford Ironman Florida Triathlon in November. This still seems “impossible” to me but I am determined to get it done.
It’s a pretty straightforward answer to an important question but it was really inspiring for me to read Steve’s answer. Three things really jumped out to me:
He knows where he’s at:
I’m a teacher, coach, husband, father, fund-raiser, & wannabe endurance athlete who seeks to inspire and be inspired.
He’s identified several roles he plays in life and while they’re all important, he recognizes that the overarching theme to those roles is “to inspire and be inspired” by the people in his life.
He knows where he wants to go
I am in the 4th year of a personal transformation as I become an athlete again and improve my quality of life….I’ve gone from fat and unfit four years ago to much fitter and registered for the Ford Ironman Florida Triathlon in November. This still seems “impossible” to me but I am determined to get it done.
If you don’t know where you’re going, any road will get you there – Lewis Carroll. Know where you want to go. Steve’s focused. He has a specific goal as a part of a longer journey that he’s experiencing and it makes for a great story.
He’s in a hurry
At age 46 I am trying to live each day like I’m dying. I have a family member who is dying (cancer) and I would feel guilty if I wasn’t trying to maximize my abilities and my alloted time.
You’re not guaranteed tomorrow. Steve knows this and he’s taking action now to get from where is currently is, to where he’s going. That might not sound like much, but in a world of some-day-ers, taking small actions every day is the key to doing whatever it is you want.
I’ve said over and over that my favorite part of writing here is seeing people take action to change their circumstances for the better. It beats the pants off of any other benefit I get from writing this blog. Take Matt for example. After years of shoulding himself and tellling himself he should take his family to visit his extended family in Indonesia, he’s finally doing it this summer. I remember talking with Matt about this last June and he was just tossing around the idea then. Almost a year later now, and he’s actually doing it. Something about that, when ideas move beyond words and become action, is amazing to me. I’d rather see 50 people make meaningful changes than for 50,000 people to just read and do nothing.
So it comes back to this question: Why are you really here?
- Maybe you just stumbled upon this article
- Maybe you’ve been reading forever
- Maybe you just like seeing me turn purple
Whatever it is, why are you here? What are you getting out of it and most importantly, what are you going to do with it? Reading is great. Taking action is better.
So tell me, why are you here? I’d love to hear your answer in the comments!
Also, if you haven’t yet signed up for The League, you can get in on the good stuff and sign up for $Free.99. It doesn’t cost a thing and I hate spam more than you do, so your email is always safe. Sign up for The League here.[Photo by atelier_tee]
Grow Stronger, Do The Impossible
Get weekly emails on how to build a stronger mind, a stronger body and stronger life and do the impossible.