Bodyweight workouts are the best. They’re simple, easy, and you can do them literally anywhere.
I’ve been traveling a lot this summer (Barcelona, Berlin, Portland, San Diego, Boulder, Denver, LA, Flagstaff, Bangkok and now Chiang Mai) and I’ve been much better about finding a gym as soon as I get my bearings in a place, but bodyweight workouts are still a lifesaver when I don’t have time to pick up something heavy.
On top of that, I love gamifying life and otherwise everyday experiences (adventure roulette, workstation popcorn and Atlantic challenge) into life-improvement tools. So, when I’m able to find the intersection of the 2 (gamified tools + bodyweight fitness) and add improvised torture devices, I get pretty excited.
Enter: The Pushup Grid
The pushup grid is a torture device from the mind of Bobby Maximus of Gym Jones. If you don’t know who he is, I highly recommend you listen to my interview with him right here.
The idea is that you don’t need any money, equipment or excuses to get a kickass workout in. You just need a sheet of paper and a pen. That’s all.
Interested? Let’s get started.
The Pushup Grid is super simple.
Step 1: Draw a grid on a piece of paper, like a tic-tac-toe box
You can make as many boxes as you like. The more boxes, the harder the workout.
Step 2: Do pushups. With each set, fill in a box. Your goal is to fill out the boxes with sets of pushups.
In the words of Bobby Maximus:
Pushup Grid Tips
If you’re making your very first pushup grid – here are a few tips to get you started.
- Start small – don’t make a 30×30 grid if you’re struggling with 10 pushups. Start small and be consistent.
- Don’t sacrifice quality. If you have to, space the grid filling throughout the day – but make sure the pushups you do are GOOD!
- Add this on top of your current workout. Treat this like “dessert.” Make sure you get in your meat and potatoes, then use this as a “finisher” to top it all off 🙂
- Want to really supercharge your pushup capabilities? Make this a daily habit. If you do, 100 pushups will be easy.
- If you’re traveling, this is the perfect airport exercise. Ignore your surroundings, bust out your notebook, throw on some music and get to work.
Your Fitness Challenge For The Day
Knock out a pushup grid RIGHT NOW.
Draw a grid and get to work.
If you do, take a photo and tag it with @impossibleheadquarters and #pushupgrid. Feel free to link to your post in the comments.
- For extra fun, make each set for every day in the month.
- Make it a full body workout by doing this with any bodyweight exercise (pullups, squats, lunges etc)
- Or, pick your age and fill that in. You can see Bobby’s “birthday edition” of the pushup grid here:
Now, let me know your grid looks like in the comments. Here’s mine => [link]
Grow Stronger, Do The Impossible
Get weekly emails on how to build a stronger mind, a stronger body and stronger life and do the impossible.